Monday, August 25, 2008

My (Not So) Secret Love Affair

While I should be writing about how my clinical experience is currently going, I just don't have the energy right now. So, I have decided to write about something fun that doesn't take to much brain power: My (Not So) Secret Love Affair.

That's right! Except it's not what you think. Those who know me well can easily guess who/what it is with. But for those who don't know me so well, here it is: I have a (Not So) Secret Love Affair with the television show "Will & Grace."

I currently own seven of the show's eight total seasons, and that's only because the eighth season isn't available in stores yet (it comes out next month.) In fact, using some freeware and trial-ware programs I have been able to convert every single episode from my Will & Grace DVD collection into an iPod format on my computer.

Why do I love this show so much? From browsing my profile one would find that it doesn't seem to fit in with my other shows: Lost, Prison Break, The Amazing Race, and Project Runway. (Well, maybe it does find some compatibility with Project Runway!) However, several reasons exist for this never-ending love affair.

Reason #1: Karen (Megan Mullally)

Megan Mullally has crafted the best sitcom character in television history. While on the surface her character is a caricature of a financially detached alcoholic socialite, it wasn't always that way. Watching the first season you notice that her trademark high-pitched voice hasn't kicked in yet. It isn't until the very last episodes of the first season that Karen is born. Her ability to develop nuance(s) or a "layering" of her character is rarely done so successfully in sitcoms.

She has the best one-liners and steals nearly every scene she's in. The following is a link to a fan website where you can listen to some of her best lines:

http://www.durfee.net/will/media_audio.htm#Karen


Also, the following video clip is from my favorite scene of my favorite episode of "Will & Grace." It is from season two and the episode is entitled, "Hey La, Hey La, My Ex-Boyfriend's Back." (It can be found on the same home website as the link above.)



Reason #2: It's Not a Show ... It's Good a Show

I have friends whose parents will not let them watch this show because it "promotes the acceptance of ity." To their parents I say, "It's about time." A good lesson can be learned by watching this show: while you may not personally agree with this aspect of a person's life (which may or may not be biological), you can still recognize his/her right to live his/her life the way he/she wants to (as long as it is not harming another person.) I think that Christ would want me to accept anybody and everybody without hesitation (again, as long as his/her/their actions are not harming anyone.) And while some say that ity is inherently harmful, I say to them: "Show me documented proof." Harmful to whom? The person who experiences those feelings? His/her family members, both immediate and extended? The possible children involved? Harmful because it is, in fact, inherently harmful or only because society says it is harmful? The fact is, I can accept a person for who they are without condoning their actions. And that goes for anyone, not just s.

Reason #3: Casting Perfection

Have you ever started watching a show and just couldn't help thinking that the casting was absolutely perfect? So have I. One of those shows is "Seinfeld." I'm not a fan of "Friends," but some would argue the casting on that show was perfect as well. Did you know that Megan Mullally (Karen) was almost cast as Grace (Debra Messing)? Do you know how horribly screwed up this show would be if that had been the case? I mean, no Karen?! Sean Hayes is not in real life, but you would never be able to tell that about him if you did not know his background. Eric McCormack (Will) and Debra Messing (Grace) have great chemistry, even if my appetite for more Jack and Karen is never satiated.

Reason #4: My Short(ening) Attention Span

As I have grown older (as if I'm a dinosaur) I have noticed that my attention span has diminished more than I thought was possible. Case in point: I hardly ever listen to a complete song on my iPod anymore; I just can't wait for the next song. When I was younger, it wasn't uncommon for me to be reading up to five novels at any one time; I haven't read a fiction novel in almost two years. I've started some books and browsed through several others, but I just don't have the dedication. Because this show is only twenty-two minutes long per episode on DVD, I can easily digest around two or three episodes in one sitting.

What else can I say? I just love my Will & Grace!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have always wanted to watch this show. I missed out on it all while it was on the air... in fact, I didn't even know there was a gay guy on it until about a year ago.

Anonymous said...

Karen: "Oh, Grace..."
Grace: "What?"
Karen: "Nothing... it just felt like it needed an 'Oh, Grace'."

I have always loved Will & Grace!

Kengo Biddles said...

I LOVE Karen. On my old blog, when I'd have a really rough day, I'd call for Karen and her never ending supply of pills and booze... :)

2Mod4U said...

I love Will and Grace. Karen does just make it come together...Some funny, bitchy quip that just catches you off gaurd (and often the other characters on the show)just makes me laugh.

They are so cool, that big names actually wanted to be on the show.

I've often used a mention of this show as a litmus test as to whether I wanted to associate with someone that I was getting to know...I know, that is pretty elistist!

Peter