However, I faced a storm when I got home. You see, I had explained to my mom well ahead of time that I was going to the Pride Festival (as I had done the year before), but I did not explain this to my dad for two reasons. I figured that he would know I was gone but not know where I was going (as usual - which is TOTALLY fine), and I also figured that he would get angry and perhaps not let me go. So I figured that I would have to confront him with the truth when I got home. I didn't want to, but I knew it would be a possibility.
When I returned home, the only person there was my older brother who was napping in the basement. So I went to my room and straightened it up and started to watch TV. When my dad got home, he came up to my room and talked with me. Our conversation, recreated to the best of my memory and ability:
"Where were you?"
"I was hanging out with friends."
"Who? What were you doing?"
"You don't know them. We chilled, watched a movie, went out to eat. [All true - but with different groups of people.]
"Oh okay... Well I know you were at this Pride thing they've got going on downtown."
"How did you know I was there?"
"Drew, don't you think I would know? Sure, I know! Why wouldn't I know where you were?"
"Did mom tell you?"
"No, she didn't tell me. I just knew. [pause] So these 'people' you were with - I assume they struggle with the same thing? Are these the people from that thing in Lehi?" [I still don't know how he knew. I don't believe that my mom told him.]
"Yeah, they are the ones from Lehi."
"Um... It really disappoints me that you went to that thing [Pride]. It completely goes against everything that I've taught you."
"You haven't even been to it before."
"That doesn't mean that I don't have an idea of what it's about."
"Oh, so you're passing judgment on something and, by default, onto me, that you only have an 'idea' about? That's not fair. That doesn't make sense to me."
"I'm not passing judgment, Drew. I'm just trying to help you. Look - there is one view on homosexuality as far as the world is concerned, and that view is put on for show at these things."
"Oh, really?! What is this 'one view'?"
"The world doesn't separate the feelings from the behavior. They think that it's one way or the other; that if you have these feelings then you must act upon them."
"So? Just because you disagree with them doesn't mean that there's only one view."
"Well, yeah there is but not according to the world. The only time I have seen a positive view put forward and encouraged was that one guy who wrote that book [Ty Mansfield, co-author of In Quiet Desperation]. What's his name? [I didn't tell him his name.] Well, anyway, that is the only example I can think of where gay people are encouraged to obey the commandments, stay celibate, etc... And that is sad. It's a total shame."
[I should've said something snarky like, "Well I think it's sad that half of all of Utah's homeless teens identify as LGBT and have been kicked out of their homes," but I didn't.] "Well it's the Church's own fault. It's published by the Church [vicariously] and is sold in Deseret Book [a church-owned store]. You can't put that onto anyone else. The Church publishes it but doesn't let people know that they sell it. I have to find out from another gay person, who found out from another gay person, etc... You remember the pamphlet, God Loveth His Children? Well the only advertising the Church did [that I saw] was in the Deseret News. Bishop ______ didn't even know about it - I had to tell him when I went to talk with him once. You would think that the Church would make a huge announcement about new literature it produces, especially about something as important as this. How would Bishop ______ not know about it? You would think they would make it known to their leadership if they produced something like that."
"I just don't think the world is ready for it yet. One day all of this will seem trivial because it will become a non-issue. But it hasn't happened yet."
"Dad, things are changing, and I want to be a part of it. It's a process; it doesn't just happen overnight. I'm not going to put my life on hold because the world's not ready for it yet."
[long pause]
"You know, Drew? This whole 'ASS' thing is taking its toll on me. It really is." [I'm not joking, either. He really said this.]
"'ASS' thing? 'SSA', you mean?" [laughing and rolling my eyes]
"Yeah, sorry: SSA. It just takes its toll, you know?"
"Uh, yeah... I know."
"And it really just upsets me when you wear your ring." [My ring is silver with a flat top, in which six small fake stones, each one a different color rainbow, are set.]
"Why?!"
"Because I don't think that it represents what you think it represents."
"Well what do you think it represents? What do you think when you see it?"
"I think it sends the message, 'Hey! Come have a good time! Yeah, come on over. Let's hook up and have a good time. I'm looking for somethin'.'"
"Well that's not what it means."
"Well that's what I'm saying - that you are sending the wrong message by wearing it. And I don't like you to wear it because I think that people who don't know you well enough will think that about you when it's not true."
"Well that's their problem, not mine."
"I just think that it does you a disservice. [long pause] Yeah, Drew, it just really shreds my heart when I see you wearing that ring. It really does. [short pause] It's like you're shoving it in people's faces!"
"What?! That doesnt' even make sense, Dad. You wear a wedding ring - does that mean that you're shoving your marriage down in people's faces? At work? At the gym? In Church?" [When I was talking with Scott earlier today, he made a comparison to a "CTR" ring that I could've used in my argument.]
"I just don't like it. In all my life, I have never seen another person wear a ring like that - not once. And yet you feel as if you must wear it. I don't understand that."
"Well you obviously don't know a lot of gay people then."
"Oh, that's bologna! You don't think I've seen gay people downtown? None of them feel like they need to wear a ring."
"Well I do. Besides, it's a ring - you don't just walk up to someone and check to see if they are wearing a ring. That's ridiculous."
"Well, no, but rings are noticeable. And yours would stick out like a sore thumb!"
[long pause]
"Dad, I would be willing to not wear my ring during a specific time, day, or place just for you. Do you want me to do that?
"No. Drew, I love you and I hope you know that. I worry about your safety. I just don't want you coming home one day beat up."
"I know. Love you, too."
[He comes over to the bed, where I am sitting, and gives me a hug. About five minutes later I walk down the stairs and he is smiling and getting ready to go to the family party at my relatives' house. My mom and sister are in the kitchen just around the corner.]
"Thanks for talking with me. I guess we just don't have very good communication. I want to have that communication with you. How come you tell mom things and not me sometimes?"
"Because you scare me..."

6 comments:
Drew, It breaks my heart that you and your dad can't communicate as you would like to. I felt the same about my dad until just recently. I decided things would be different with my kids. It has to start young and build over time, with both father and son being honest and open in their communication.
After all these years, I am just now beginning to be able to effectively communicate with my dad, and it still seems a bit awkward. We are both trying.
I can tell from what you have written that he loves you. I hope you both will be able to bridge the gap sooner than I did. Family can be such a great support. I hope it turns out that way for you.
All my best,
Steve
"And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth."
Joseph Smith, "but whenever you see the bow withdrawn, it shall be a token that there shall be famine, pestilence, and great distress among the nations,"
I'm so sorry you had to have a conversation like this :(
Lots of mixed feelings here Drew, not just for me, but obviously for your dad as well. I think it's clear that he still loves you as best he knows how, and he also has some serious struggles with this part of your life. Try to be as patient with him as you hope anyone would be with you, I can assure you that parenthood does NOT confer omniscience. But you know that. Meanwhile you have another family who is always ready to welcome you with open arms and hugs and affection and support, and who likes your choice of rings very much.
Gotta love the ASS thing. ;)
Maybe you should ask your dad if he is willing to talk to and learn from and with other parents. Scott's parents have a long way to go, but they are really trying. I bet they would be willing to talk to him if he was open to that.
Let us know. You know we are always here for you. :)
I am so thankful I've not had to have conversations like this with my parents.
Post a Comment