Saturday, April 25, 2009

End Title

Lately, I have found myself discovering new and inspiring instrumental music - most of it from film soundtracks and movie trailers.

So I have decided that I would like to share this with you all. They can all be found on iTunes. Some are better than others, and I will present them in order from best to worst (which is still great). Enjoy!

The best of these pieces is "Angels in America" from the 2003 HBO mini-series of the same name. It has some gay themes and stars Meryl Streep - need I say more? The entire score was composed by Thomas Newman, and I would recommend you listen to the entire soundtrack. This song is #9 on my iPod's Top 25 Most Played playlist. The following is the opening credits which feature the above-named song:



The next piece is called "Christmas/Sarajevo 12/24" by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. This song is a cover of "Carol of the Bells." While working at the E-Center doing security I was able to see them perform live twice in one day - and it is the best concert I have ever seen. They visit Utah annually ever fall season, and I would strongly recommend buying a ticket to see them perform. They play Christmas tunes using a full orchestra and electric guitars (the song starts at the 2:30 mark):



If you watch CBS' "Cold Case," you may be familiar with the next song. It is called "Nara" and is the TV show's theme song. It was composed and performed by a group called E.S. Posthumus. I first heard it at one of my high school Dance Company's two performances throughout the year and fell in love with it. Oddly enough, it reminds me of God and Jesus Christ preparing for the Second Coming. This song is #22 on my iPod's Top 25 Most Played playlist:



The next song is called "Revolutionary Road" from the movie of the same name. Again, it was composed by Thomas Newman. The movie is just okay, but it is definitely worth seeing at least once - Leonardo DiCaprio gives an absolutely amazing performance (and I usually don't like him). This song is #10 on my iPod's Top 25 Most Played playlist:



The next song was featured in a film and a movie trailer, the latter being where I first heard it. The film is "Requiem For a Dream" (haven't seen it but plan to) and the movie that featured the song in its trailer is "Sunshine" (a great sci-fi film). The song is called "Lux Aeterna" by Clint Mansell, and it literally means "light eternal." It is kinda creepy, but enjoyable none the less:



Have you seen "Changeling?" It is amazing! What a great film. If you haven't seen it, then it must be seen before you die. Clint Eastwood directed the movie, but few know that he composed its score as well (which he did for "Million Dollar Baby" too). The song is simply titled, "End Titles" and runs through - you guessed it - the movie's end titles. It is actually three songs in one, but the motif is similar throughout all three pieces. It is #21 on my iPod's Top 25 Most Played playlist:



This next song is featured in the trailer for "The Reader." It is called "Primavera" and was composed by Ludovico Einaudi. The film should have been more of a contender during the awards season this past year. The film's score, composed by up-and-comer Nico Muhly, is also great! Kate Winslet did deserve her Oscar, but Meryl Streep deserved it more for "Doubt" (which deserved the Best Picture award). Anyway, this piece is stirring and very emotional, and will definitely make an impact:



"The Hours" features the best soundtrack in several years - it is thoroughly and impeccably accomplished. If you have not seen the movie, I recommend it. Again, it has gay themes and features not only Meryl Streep but Julianne Moore and the cutest little boy that ever existed! The entire score was composed by Philip Glass. Here is the piece entitled, "Morning Passages:"



The final two pieces are from the films "Notes On a Scandal" and "Lucky Number Slevin," respectively. The former was, again, composed by Philip Glass and the latter was composed by J. Ralph. They both can be heard in the trailer for "Doubt."

3 comments:

El Genio said...

Looks like I have a few more movies to add to my Netflix queue :)

Nathan and Natalie said...

The one from Requiem For A Dream is one of my favorites. The first time I heard it was when I was seeing that movie. Nate said to me that he couldn't listen to it because it trips him out a little bit in some parts but I thought that it was an absolutely beautiful piece! Nice choice Drew!

drakames said...

I can't tell you how many of these pieces of music I love! The theme from Angels in America is one of the most played on my ipod. I love instrumental stuff. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to check out the ones I haven't heard.